Botulism is a rare but serious form of food poisoning caused by consuming food contaminated with Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Signs and symptoms of botulism include double vision, slurred speech, and difficulty swallowing. Botulism can be fatal if not treated immediately with an antitoxin.
The main source of botulism is canned food that has been improperly prepared or stored at home for too long. When foods are canned, the process removes oxygen from the container which creates an environment that is ideal for the growth of Clostridium botulinum bacteria. If the canned product is not processed correctly and is stored at room temperature or higher for too long, the spores contained in the bacteria can germinate and produce toxins that cause botulism.
This is why it’s important to follow instructions when canning food at home. Home-canned foods should be heated to the right temperature and pressure for a specific amount of time to ensure that any potential bacteria are destroyed. In addition, cans should be inspected before opening to make sure they are not bulging or leaking, which could indicate contamination.
It’s also important to store home-canned foods in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight and make sure they are used within one year of being canned. Any cans that have been open should be refrigerated and used within three days.
Does Botulism come from canned food? Yes, it can if not properly prepared or stored at home for too long.
To reduce the risk of getting sick from botulism, it’s important to follow instructions when canning food at home, inspect cans before opening them, store them in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight and use them within one year of being canned. Any opened cans should be refrigerated and used within three days.